Connect with us

Entertainment

Viewers massively rally behind Ukraine: ‘Every win is important for us now’ | entertainment

Published

on

The band participating for Ukraine, Kalush Orchestra, was delighted with the victory. “Every win is important to us now,” they said. Ukraine’s delegation said this week that if it wins, it is determined to hold the festival in the capital Kiev. It is not yet clear whether the broadcaster EBU supports this intention. Spain has now also signed up to take care of the organization of the festival in 2023, if it does not work in Ukraine.

Ukraine won the Eurovision Song Contest in Turin by force majeure, mainly thanks to the many votes from the TV-watching public. The difference in points between the judges, with Ukraine finishing in fourth place with 192 points, and the points of the public, was huge. The Eastern European country received no less than 439 points from TV viewers.

Afterwards, the Ukrainian band gave a press conference. “Eurovision has managed to connect Europe,” said an emotional bandleader Oleh Psiuk.

“First of all, we would like to thank everyone who voted for us. This victory, here in Turin, is more important than ever for our country. We are here to prove that Ukrainian culture is alive and well. We ourselves mix traditional Ukrainian sounds with modern music. Even without the invasion of Russia, that was appreciated. Even before the war broke out, our song ‘Stefania’ was in fifth place among betting shops. So the Europeans and Australians certainly voted for the song as well.”

What will the band do when the members return to Ukraine? Their exemption to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest expires on 16 May. After that, they are expected to be ready again to assist in the defense of the Eastern European country. “Like any Ukrainian, we are ready to fight to the bitter end,” Psiuk said.

Text continues below the video

scoring

It was mainly the scoring that attracted the attention of journalists in the press center. The scoring was not often rehearsed by the presentation team. It was striking that four countries did not announce their jury points via a so-called spokesperson (that is the one who announces the points on behalf of the country). The organization could not get the connection in order. A hack was taken into account among journalists. Last Tuesday evening, Russian hackers had foreseen it at the Eurovision Song Contest. To the Italian newspaper La Republica The European broadcaster EBU announced that hackers have tried to shut down the website of the Eurovision Song Contest. That attempt failed.

In an official statement on Saturday evening, the EBU said that irregularities had been found in the votes of six countries in the scoring of the second semi-final. An attempt was made to manipulate the results.

As for the show, many journalists complimented the Italian organization. A lot went wrong during rehearsals, so that few believed in a well-running TV show on Saturday evening. But the Italian broadcaster RAI put on an excellent show, although it lasted longer than 4 hours.

‘Hoping for more’

The Netherlands took eleventh place (out of 40 participating countries) in Turin. That can be seen as a good result. S10 stated afterwards: “I am extremely grateful for all the support and love I have received from the Netherlands and Europe. That means a lot to me. It remains a competition and of course I had hoped for a slightly higher position, but I look back on the entire period with a very happy and grateful feeling.”

It was the third time in a short time that the Netherlands took eleventh place in the Song Contest. The last times were in 2016 (Douwe Bob) and OG3NE (2017). The Netherlands received 129 points from the judges and 42 points from the TV viewers in Europe.

The top 15 this year:

1 Ukraine 631

2 United Kingdom 466

3 Spain 459

4 Sweden 438

5 Serbia 312

6 Italy 268

7 Moldova 253

8 Greece 215

9 Portugal 207

10 Norway 182

11 Netherlands 171

12 Poland 151

13 Estonia 141

14 Lithuania 128

15 Australia 125

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Entertainment

After bicycle accident: Cas Jansen back to work at GTST | TV

Published

on

His role is temporarily taken over by Wouter Zweers, who can therefore be seen as that character for the first time from Monday. Zweers is according to RTL Boulevard until the summer cliff hanger to be seen as Julian Verduyn.

Jansen announced at the beginning of May that he had almost recovered from the accident with his e-bike. His teeth are “completely whole again,” he said in a video on Instagram. “It really feels like a victory, after two months it is now fully recovered.”

‘Teeth discomfort’

The accident, in which he fell with his head on the asphalt with “a very hard blow,” shook his life “quite a bit,” he wrote in the video. “A broken jaw, chin, hand and a lot of tooth discomfort made me realize how vulnerable we are.”

Jansen returned in 2019 after a twenty-year absence in GTST† He previously played the character between 1996 and 1999.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Johan Derksen does not apologize for candle incident

Published

on


Photo: ANP

Johan Derksen offers no apologies for the ‘candle story’ that he previously told Today Inside. In the first broadcast since the program went off the air, Derksen said that he will not say “sorry”, but that it was not his intention to hurt “people who have been really affected by sexual violence”.

In the earlier broadcast of the program, Derksen said that half a century earlier he had penetrated a drunk and unconscious woman with a candle. In the broadcast he called it a “youth sin”. He later weakened his story, saying that there had been no penetration. Derksen, Wilfred Genee and René van der Gijp decided to stop the program after a few days of great commotion.

According to Derksen, people at talk show tables have demanded that he apologize. However, the presenter stated that he has “already distanced himself” from his story in the broadcast. He held up his middle finger at the camera, a gesture addressed to “all the people on talk shows saying” that he should apologize.

Derksen also said in the broadcast that he spoke with State Secretary Gunay Uslu of Culture and Media about the ‘candle incident’ and the commotion about it. It was “a very pleasant conversation”, according to Derksen. “Mrs. Uslu has stolen my heart,” he said. “We have agreed, we will not blow the whistle on the conversation.”

The analyst said he had never been as busy as after the offending broadcast. The day before the conversation with Uslu, he made an appointment with Talpa boss John de Mol and he also had a conversation with the vice squad in Groningen, according to Derksen. There he was told that the case is “barred”. Finally, he said about the ongoing investigation that an official report has been drawn up. “They have heard my story”, and now it is decided what to do with it.

A group of demonstrators gathered on Monday evening in front of the studio where Today Inside is being recorded, at the media park in Hilversum. They protested the return of the program to television. People carried signs and banners with texts such as ‘Rape culture inside’, ‘No platform for rape culture’, ‘Put that candle in your own ass’ and ‘No buhne for racism sexism’.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Cynical Derksen about the OM investigation: ‘I don’t sleep a wink’

Published

on


Johan Derksen does not seem particularly concerned about the investigation that the Public Prosecution Service is conducting. ,,So an official report has been drawn up, they have heard my story and now he is going to decide what he is going to do with it. Well, you understand that I don’t sleep a wink,” said a sarcastic Derksen tonight in Today Inside, which returned to television tonight after two weeks of absence.

Continue Reading

Sport News

Sports3 hours ago

Smiling Alfred Schreuder to Ajax without fear: ‘Win the Champions League? That’s what we’re going for, yes’

Alfred Schreuder does not think he will change much at Ajax. That said the successor of the coach Erik ten...

Sports3 hours ago

Van Dijk and Salah miss Liverpool competition match, but are fit for Champions League | Football

“We are going to put together a team that will do everything to win the game,” Klopp said. “We need...

Sports4 hours ago

Defending champion Orange under 17 starts European Championship with victory over Bulgaria | NOW

The Orange under 17 started the European Championship in Israel on Monday with a victory over Bulgaria. The team of...

Entertainment4 hours ago

After bicycle accident: Cas Jansen back to work at GTST | TV

His role is temporarily taken over by Wouter Zweers, who can therefore be seen as that character for the first...

Entertainment5 hours ago

Johan Derksen does not apologize for candle incident

Photo: ANP Johan Derksen offers no apologies for the ‘candle story’ that he previously told Today Inside. In the first...

Entertainment6 hours ago

Cynical Derksen about the OM investigation: ‘I don’t sleep a wink’

Johan Derksen does not seem particularly concerned about the investigation that the Public Prosecution Service is conducting. ,,So an official...

Sports6 hours ago

Marc Overmars wants to bring Mark van Bommel to Antwerp | Football

Overmars would like to bring Van Bommel to Belgium. The former coach of PSV and VfL Wolfsburg has already been...

Entertainment6 hours ago

Vera and Casper are faced with hot fires in Buying without looking: ‘This is not going to work’

Finding a spacious home in the center of Leiden with a budget of 375,000 euros. That was the assignment for...

Sports6 hours ago

Chelsea takeover by American consortium may not go ahead after all | NOW

Chelsea’s takeover by an American consortium led by businessman Todd Boehly may not go ahead. According to the BBC the...

Sports7 hours ago

“Willem II and PEC Zwolle will also notice that you really cannot buy success”

Willem II, PEC Zwolle and perhaps Heracles will play in the Kitchen Champion Division next season. The mission, no doubt:...

Trending