Connect with us

Sports

Mickelson extends hiatus and won’t defend title at PGA Championship | NOW

Published

on

Defending champion Phil Mickelson will not compete in the PGA Championship next week. The 51-year-old golfer has been sidelined for more than three months after making controversial statements about a new Saudi Arabia-funded tour early this year.

“We were just informed that Phil Mickelson has withdrawn from the PGA Championship,” the organizers of the second major of the year said on Twitter on Friday. “Phil is the defending champion and he should have been allowed to participate.”

Mickelson became the oldest major winner in history last year when he won the PGA Championship for the second time in his career. Last month, the American skipped the Masters in Augusta for the first time since 1994, the major he won three times.

‘Lefty’ last played a tournament at the end of January. He has since taken a break after receiving much criticism for an interview in February in which he said he was considering playing on a new tour funded by controversial Saudi Arabia.

“Those are scary bastards,” Mickelson told journalist Alan Shipnuck about Saudi Arabia. “They have a very bad record of human rights, yet I see this new tour as a one-time opportunity to reshape the greedy PGA Tour.”

Mickelson later apologized for his comments.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sports

The women of Lyon beat Barcelona and have the Champions League back

Published

on


The women of Lyon beat Barcelona and have the Champions League back

Continue Reading

Sports

Verhoeven: ‘Nice to see Overeem versus Hari first’

Published

on


Verhoeven: ‘Nice to see Overeem versus Hari first’

Continue Reading

Sports

Pérez is disappointed with team orders in Spain: ‘Thought Max would give back’ | NOW

Published

on

Despite his second place in the Spanish Grand Prix, Sergio Pérez was not satisfied with the course of his race. The Mexican was disappointed that he had to leave for Max Verstappen and therefore wants an explanation from his team.

“I think I deserved to win today,” 32-year-old Pérez told Sky Sports† “At the start of the race I gave up my position with the idea that I would get that position back later, but then the strategies suddenly changed. Max’s strategy turned out to be clearly the better one.”

Pérez gave up on lap ten for Verstappen, who had flown into the gravel just before that and fell from second to fourth place as a result. Pérez was stuck behind Russell and wanted to give Verstappen the opportunity to attack the Mercedes driver.

However, Verstappen struggled with problems with his DRS system and was unable to overtake Russell. After the pit stops, Pérez rejoined Verstappen and Russell, but the Mexican did not get his position back from the Dutchman.

In the final phase, Verstappen again ended up behind Pérez. The two-time Grand Prix winner was ordered not to delay Verstappen and indicated over the on-board radio that he thought that was “not fair”. Nevertheless, Pérez stepped aside, after which Verstappen’s victory was no longer in danger.

‘Want to discuss some things with the team’

Although Pérez emphasized that he is happy with the team result, he still hopes to receive an explanation from his team. “There are some things I want to discuss internally with the team so I can understand why certain choices were made,” he continued.

“When I’m driving it’s hard to see the bigger picture. I’m not saying I’ve been a victim of team orders, I just want to understand why the strategies suddenly changed

With his victory, Verstappen took over the World Cup lead from Leclerc. The Red Bull driver has six points more than his competitor from Ferrari (110 to 104 points). The Formula 1 season will continue next week with the Monaco Grand Prix.

Continue Reading

Sport News

Sports1 hour ago

The women of Lyon beat Barcelona and have the Champions League back

The women of Lyon beat Barcelona and have the Champions League back

Sports2 hours ago

Verhoeven: ‘Nice to see Overeem versus Hari first’

Verhoeven: ‘Nice to see Overeem versus Hari first’

Sports2 hours ago

Pérez is disappointed with team orders in Spain: ‘Thought Max would give back’ | NOW

Despite his second place in the Spanish Grand Prix, Sergio Pérez was not satisfied with the course of his race....

Sports3 hours ago

Podcast | Giro Stage 15: Profit warning from Mollema and KOMmetjes yacht from Van der Poel

Every day, Thijs Zonneveld and Hidde van Warmerdam discuss the stage of the day. Today a tough mountain ride on...

Entertainment4 hours ago

Kourtney Kardashian marries in black mini dress

Kourtney Kardashian (43) gives her yes to drummer Travis Barker (46) in a short black dress today. At the height...

Entertainment4 hours ago

Protest again on Cannes red carpet

A group of women protested on the red carpet of the Cannes Film Festival today. A group of about ten...

Sports5 hours ago

In the Giro it should have happened for Dumoulin, but it turned out to be a debacle. What now?

In the Giro it should have happened for Dumoulin, but it turned out to be a debacle. What now?

Sports6 hours ago

Results and standings: Ciccone wins in his own country, Bouwman in mountain jersey

Results and standings: Ciccone wins in his own country, Bouwman in mountain jersey

Sports7 hours ago

Overeem fights Hari | . in October GLORY debut NOW

Alistair Overeem is set to make his GLORY debut in October. The martial artist takes on Badr Hari in his...

Entertainment7 hours ago

Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was out of work for decades, until now

He said he produced more tears in the last few weeks than in the past twenty years combined. Ke Huy...

Trending